Friday, September 12, 2008

Claire's 1 year Birthday

Yay!! Claire is 1 year old!

Since Jason and I both had a busy evening, we decided to celebrate Claire's birthday at lunch time. And we celebrated in style....McDonalds!!! haha
It was Joshua's request that we go to Mickey D's, and we all had a blast!

We were planning on having a party for Claire on Saturday, but decided to move it to Tuesday because it's supposed to rain Saturday through Monday and I want an outdoor party with twinkle lights in the trees!

I think the birthday girl enjoyed herself.


She was very excited about her birthday cake, but wanted it right away, so she's a little distraught in this picture! Patience child!


Hold on Claire, we have to light the candle!!!
We got special permission from the McDonald's manager to light her candle, as long as I promised not to burn down the joint.

oooOOOOoooo fire....



mmmm..... lip smackin' good!


Claire was fascinated by the cake's squishiness.


Yay Sugar high!!!

After McDonalds, we took the kids to the toy store to play for a little while.


Later on, Claire unwrapped her presents.


She loved playing with the paper and took the ribbon off and tried to put it on her head.
Isn't that what ribbon is for?



Now Claire has a zoo train to play with when Joshua is playing with his trains!


... and a wooden duck that flaps its wings!



Nana gave Claire a little toy microwave and some toy doughnuts.
Josh and Claire have been chewing on them ever since!
Hopefully they are lead free! haha :)


mmmmm.... PLASTIC DOUGHNUTS!


We also gave Claire a little Jack-in-the-Box, that plays "pop goes the .... " BEAR?
The idea behind the teddy bear was that it would a nice cuddly, soft, and furry alternative to the more frightening clown popping up, which is usually the norm.

Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time.

However, this turned out to be Claire's LEAST favorite birthday present.




Poor little girl. So sad.

Today Claire was still suspicious of the bear-in-a-box, but a little more daring.
She crawled over to it and touched the bear very tentatively, then tried to push it into the box and close the lid. After some assistance in closing the box, she touched the music crank and looked at me, so I started to turn the music box. I've never seen Claire move so fast AWAY from something! She crawled about 6 feet away (a safe distance I guess) and waited for the bear to pop up, then gasped with her eyes wide, looked at me and smiled a huge grin!
She did this about 4 times in a row.
So, I think she may be warming up to the bear.

9 comments:

Whitney R said...

HAHAHA, my heavens I loved the videos. Let's start on my commentary.

Oh teeth!! She has so many teeth! She is starting to not look so much like a baby... weird. :)

The video of the cake. Made me laugh because she reached for the same spot both times to get the icing.

Her toys. I love them! Is she taking any steps following that duck?

The video of the pop up bear. So funny. I laughed and laughed. The bear is just funny by itself. But her reaction at first was priceless. I imagine she was saying something like, "What?! What just happened?!? What is that? IT CAME OUT OF NOWHERE!!" I'm glad she's warming up to it.

Don't stop the blogging!!!! Your on a roll!

Tara Ann said...

The bear-in-the-box was hilarious. She is so adorable. I can't believe she is a year old.

Lena Gilbert said...

I love how daintly she ate her cake. Isak dug in with both hands and shoved it into his mouth. Kevin and I were thinking about getting Isak a jack in the box but I'm sure he would have the same reaction as claire and start to cry. I pulled out a squeaking monkey puppet at my parent's house and it completely freaked him out.She is getting so big! Enjoy her limited mobility while it lasts cause it looks like she's growing fast!

Nana said...

Claire is so cute! I can't wait to see her in December. And her little animal train looks really fun, I've never seen one like that. At least Claire and Josh won't gain any weight from eating those plastic donuts. Maybe that's what I should do! :)

Anonymous said...

OMG- they are the cutest kids ever. It doesn't surprise me though, that you two have the most gorgeous children! Looks like everyone is having fun. Keep up the good work. -Judy

Nathan Stephanie Gilbert Family said...

look at my little neice so old now and starting to get more hair. After seeing how much fun a B-day at Mcdonalds is I think I will have mine there this next year.

jenifer said...

claire is soo adorable-- she looks just like vicki, and josh looks just like his daddy... what a sweet family... love the one year birthday blog-- and, we always do timeouts one minute for each year too...

DocMisty said...

I love the Jack in the Box video. It reminds me of how my kids react to the big guy dressed as Santa Claus around Christmas. It's supposed to be fun, but they end up scared and crying. LOL.

Christine Mains said...

Oh I miaa your family so much. I cannot believe Claire is already one. Wow! Owen is 6 months and trying to crawl. Babies grow to fast. Brian, The boys, and I are thinking of making a trip out to see you guys and our Indy crew for Thanksgiving. We will have to work out details with his folks because we need to borrow their van. Ours would die if we attempted the trip with it. I miss you sooooooooooo much.