Monday, August 16, 2010

Our manners meal!


We had a manners meal tonight!
The kids dressed up in their Sunday best, and I made a fancy dinner, complete with a real tablecloth, cloth napkins, and all of our good china!

I made game hens and all the fixings!
Stuffing, mashed potatoes, a green bean casserole, rolls... the works.
We even had ice cream in crystal bowls for dessert!
The kids were anxious to use their dessert spoon!!

The kids especially loved the sparkling cider and saying "cheers!", the salad forks, and the napkin rings.
It was really tough convincing Claire that the gravy boat was not actually a tea cup.

Jason came in from mowing the lawn and I handed him a shirt and tie... it was probably a little confusing at the time.

Josh kept asking why I got to have 3 plates... I had to explain to him a few times that I really only had 1 dinner plate, and 1 plate for the dinner roll... the other little plate was for Daddy's dinner roll.
Wyatt has much to learn in the manners department.... but isn't he cute?
He got a kick out of teasing me with his pieces of bread... he threw one over the side and then continued to tease me with other pieces of bread... would hold them over the side with a huge grin on his face, and then I would say "noooo wyatt!", and he would pull the bread back and giggle and giggle! It was pretty cute.

And, totally unrelated to our manners dinner....

A couple of weeks ago Josh got to read to this dog at the library :)
It's a really cute program... the kids get a 10 minute session where they read to a companion dog... it's a great way for them to practice their reading in a fun way, and beneficial to the dog's training as well. The entire summer was booked, so I couldn't get Josh in, but someone cancelled this particular day.

Josh is allergic to dogs, but he loves them.
So I gave him some zyrtec before we left and he was fine.

Josh read the entire book to Logan the dog, all by himself!!
Very cool.

3 comments:

Granny said...

What a great idea. SOOO much fun .

Christine Mains said...

WHat a great idea!!! I love it!!! Whenever we go to Brian's parents the boys get to eat with real silver and on real china in their sunday best. BUT, I think doing it in your own home I'm sure has to be MORE special. I cannot wait until we have nice China. I love the idea of focusing it on having MANNERS!!!! What a great idea. I will try this this Friday when we have the missionaries over for the first time in forever. I've been too frightened to have them since our boys table manners need a lot of HELP!!!!!
Thanks,
Love you, and miss you and your giggling WYATT
I love the reading to a dog idea. ADORABLE!!!

Tara Ann said...

You are so adorable. I can't believe you prepped all of that food after I left. You are amazing. What fun! And I am jealous of Josh. I miss having a dog.