Wednesday, July 15, 2009

4th of July

We had a lot of fun on the 4th this year. Jason's mom, Kathy, and his sister Whitney were visiting for a week and we were very excited to have them with us! We had a fun-filled day starting with a pancake breakfast at the church, flag raising ceremony (Jason's scouts were in charge), and then a primary activity that included a little kid 4th of july/pioneer parade around the parking lot. Our neighbor Ralph recently brought a training-wheel bike over for Josh that he found at a garage sale for $2, and Josh was really excited to be able to ride a "big boy bike" in the parade instead of a tricycle. He and Claire worked really hard decorating Josh's bike and our wagon in red, white, and blue for the parade. (OK, Whit and i helped a bit!) One of the cutest things was Josh's sign that he wrote himself and taped to his bike.... "Happe Amrica Day"... we think he calls it america day because we also celebrate Canada day, which is on July 1st. There were also some fun pioneer games for the kids after their little parade. All of this was before 10am! Then we headed over to the town parade - a yearly tradition :)
After that we came home and had naps, then had a yummy bbq, did a little bit of "fireworks" - snakes and gloworms, and roasted smores in our firepit. About this time there were fireworks going off all around us in the neighborhood, so we lit some sparklers and kicked back to watch the show. I made a blue and red layered jello but it took all day to make and wasn't ready until midnight, so we just ate it the next day!
It was a fun day! And Whitney has a super sweet camera and took most of these pictures in the slideshow... I just took a few :) Thanks Whit! Look how cute she is with her tiny pregnant belly!

4 comments:

Nathan Stephanie Gilbert Family said...

Claire and Josh are getting so big and are so cute! I love the sign that Josh made for his bike, that is really funny! You have a cute little belly too! I miss you guys and wish I could have been there too!

Whitney R said...

I love the pictures! ;) I can't wait till I have my own to take pictures of - I'll need a bigger external hard drive, I'm afraid. I was thinking about the videos of them swimming that I took with your camera - I vote you put up a few. Especially the one with Josh dumping water on claire and her not caring and then of josh growling at claire under the towel - they made me laugh out loud while I was trying to fall asleep for my nap today.

It was so much fun getting to visit! I'm glad we came and that we did for a week. I went/am going through quite the social deprivation. Not quite out of the funk that I've been going through for the last few days feeling so lonely! You need to live next door, okay?

Josh asked me to take that picture with the dew. "Here, take one of me holding the mountain dew" I told him his uncles would be very proud.

And thanks for the tiny belly comment :)

Nana said...

I loved seeing those pics Vicki, it was so much fun to be there, and that was a super fun day. I'm glad Whit took over 400 pics!

Christine Mains said...

I love the pictures! I miss the
Gilbert's I keep thinking of how and when I'll make the drive over. Maybe next summer when Brian is studying for the barr.